Terms of Reference for web development and maintenance
We are seeking a company to:
- Develop our new website on a secure open-source platform.
- Migrate the content of our current website to our new website.
- Ensure seamless communication and integration with our database and other third-party applications.
- Provide day-to-day support and website maintenance.
The CHS Alliance is a membership organisation, resource provider and thought leader in the humanitarian and development sectors. The Alliance’s aim is to promote respect for the rights and dignity of people and communities vulnerable to risk and affected by disaster, conflict or poverty. Together with its 150 member organisations, the Alliance aspires to enhance the effectiveness and impact of assistance by building a culture of quality and accountability. In order to contribute to the achievement of the Alliance’s mission and strategy, the website needs to be fit for purpose, namely respond to the latest online trends, easily accessible and engaging for a wide-ranging, diverse audience.
Objectives of the website
- The website is the Alliance’s main communications tool to reach the humanitarian and development sectors and beyond. Therefore, it must be well structured, attractive, dynamic and engaging with proper social media integration. The current website has a static feel, new content is not immediately visible, which does not provide for a positive, engaging user experience.
- One of the key communications objectives of the Alliance is to considerably increase the number of searches for the CHS Alliance and the Core Humanitarian Standard for Quality and Accountability (CHS) via classical search engines. Therefore, the website must be effectively referenced and Search Engine Optimised (SEO).
- The website also functions as a resource library. It is important that users be able to easily explore the library, which contains nearly 2,000 entries. With this aim in mind, an effective search function must be developed. It should also be possible to order resources online, which means that an online registration and payment system must be available.
- As the Alliance is a membership organisation, the website needs to provide a one-stop shop for members, where they can access member-specific content and their membership details, and where they can communicate with each other. Hence the new website will have a ‘My CHS Alliance’ section that will be linked to the database of the CHS Alliance.
- The Alliance organises many events, such as conferences, webinars and training sessions. This requires an online registration and payment system. The system has to be linked with the database.